24 February 2015 - 20:04,
by Melinda Schiera
, No comments
Hands on Housing, a program of Interfaith Action of Central Texas (iACT) repairs homes for Austin residents. Read below to learn more about eligibility requirements and the different programs within Hands on Housing. Clients may be served through more than one program.
For all programs:
- Priority in all programs is given to low-income & elderly applicants
o When it is your turn for repairs, income will be verified
- Applicant must own their home and may not own any other property
- Have insurance on their home (exceptions made for low-income individuals)
This program focuses on health and safety modifications. Eligible repairs include:
- Electrical, plumbing, mechanical repairs
- Accessibility modifications; limited to ramps, grab bars and hand rails
- Exterior siding repair
- Window & door repairs/replacements
- Minimal drywall and flooring repairs
- Structural carpentry pertaining to structural integrity; support beams
- Rotten floor joists (usually result of leak), rotten wall members
- Painting as related to repairs only
- Roof patches
- Roof replacement
- Ceiling fans, lighting
- Amy Young
This program focuses on accessibility modifications. Client must have a certified disability to be eligible.
- Handy Helpers
This is our volunteer-based program. Volunteers may help with projects that do not require licensure, primarily including:
- Exterior painting
- Minor siding repair and carpentry
- Yard work
Call us at 512-386-9145 ext. 305 to learn more about the programs and check the wait time.
Applications are available in English and Spanish: Homeowner Request for Services and Solicitud e Informacion del Propietario.