FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 18, 2011
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Jason Hill, 972-0145, cell 739-9792
Jill Mayfield, 972-0150; cell 585-0474
(Austin)-Beginning Tuesday, September 6, Austin Water will enact Stage 2 Mandatory Watering Restrictions due to the exceptional drought in Central Texas.
Stage 2 Watering Restrictions are in line with the City’s Drought Contingency Plan which states, in part, that the City Manager may order additional water restrictions when the combined lake storage levels of Lakes Travis and Buchanan reaches 900,000 acre-feet. It is anticipated that the trigger will be reached next week.
The City of Austin believes it is necessary to implement additional restrictions to help ensure adequate water supply during the drought. To ensure that both residential and commercial customers follow restrictions, Austin Water staff will begin stepped-up enforcement.
Violations of mandatory watering restrictions will result in an official warning followed by a citation if the violation is not corrected. Citations will be issued in Municipal Court with fines set during Stage 2 at $475.
Stage 2 Includes:
- Watering allowed 1 day per week for all Austin Water customers
- Hand-watering allowed anytime
- No automatic-irrigation after 10 a.m. on designated watering day
- Vehicle washing on designated day before 10 a.m.
- No charity carwashes
- No automatic fill valves for pools or ponds
- No outdoor fountains except to provide aeration for aquatic life
- No water to be served at restaurants unless requested
- No washing of sidewalks, driveways, parking areas or other paved areas
To report water waste, residents should call 3-1-1. For more information on Stage 2 Restrictions and water conservation programs, visit WaterWiseAustin.org.